Tuesday, May 17, 2011

~France~

Yesterday we arrived in France after about a two hour train ride. It was actually much more comfortable than the plane we flew in to get to Europe. I slept the whole way.

France has a metro system much like London and I'm guessing like most European countries with large cities. It is a little bit dirtier than London, but I think it is much prettier. The buildings do not look dilapidated and many of the buildings have terraces adorned with flowers. It's very pretty. The food is so much better here. I did not care for the food in London much. I'm so excited to try different cheeses and pastries that they have.

We went to the Eiffel Tower yesterday. It was gorgeous! I can't believe how huge it is in person. A group of us stayed to watch it light up and twinkle. It was almost magical. We got to ride an elevator to the very top. I'm so glad we didn't have to climb steps!
Today we went to Notre Dame and Sainte-Chapelle. Notre Dame was very large. It was exciting to see the Cathedral that was the setting for much of the "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." Sainte-Chapelle wasn't as big as I expected but it was very pretty. The stained glass was amazing. It is so cool to think about how the glass tells a story. Before most people could read, biblical stories were painted or sculpted so they could be told to numerous people. The stained glass showed different stories from the Bible. You are supposed to read it from left to right and from the bottom to top. It was hard to understand the stories without knowing them though since we are not used to understanding things this way.

France is beautiful and lively. I can't wait to explore more of it in the days to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment