Thursday, May 19, 2011

More from Paris

Well, today is our fourth day in Paris. Our time has been really fun and we have been able to see a lot of cool places. Today we went to yet another museum. The Orsay actually used to be a train station. It was a really large beautiful building. It was awesome to see paintings that I have studied in different classes throughout the years. There was a Manet exhibit this month and there were a lot of his best paintings. My favorite of Manet's works at the museum was his illustration of "The Raven," a short poem by Edgar Allen Poe.

Yesterday we went to the Louvre. It was huge. My group didn't get to go through the whole museum, but we went through most of it. There were so many different works of art, from paintings to sculptures to artifacts from ancient Egypt. It was really tiring after a while though because of all the walking. Some of the paintings were enormous. They were bigger than a whole room in a house pretty much. It was really incredible.

After we got done at the Louvre, I went with part of the group to go eat and visit the Latin district again. We ate at a gyro restaurant which was not very good. Unfortunately once we had already got on the metro and were a good distance from the restaurant I realized I forgot my new jacket. Luckily my brother Caleb was nice enough to go with me to retrieve it.

Going back was an adventure. Luckily we found my jacket. However, on the way back we experienced a couple cool things. First, there was a dance crew on one of the streets and they were performing. They were break-dancing and could do some really impressive moves. A couple of the guys could do back flips and spin on their heads. Then, when we got on the metro there was a couple on our train who started playing music and singing and dancing. It was fun to watch and very entertaining.

In addition to going to the various museums and monuments in both London and Paris, we have had class and discussed both works of art and literature. Today we held class in a park and reflected upon our experiences in London and the places we have been in Paris. It was almost unreal to be having class in a beautiful park in Paris with the Eiffel Tower in the background. It just makes all my other classes in a traditional classroom much less exciting.

Who knew learning could be so fun? :) It's a blast and I'm so glad I got to go on this trip! I can't believe there are only three more days left until we go home! The time has passed so quickly it seems!

No comments:

Post a Comment